Victims involved in truck accidents caused by negligent truck drivers often suffer catastrophic injuries due to the sheer size and weight of commercial semi-trucks and tractor trailers. However, before victims can recover compensation in their cases, they must first present evidence to prove the different aspects of their claim – such as negligence and losses.
To be successful in a personal injury lawsuit against a trucking company and/or a truck driver, the victim needs to show that that the company and/or trucker acted in a negligent manner to cause a collision. Negligent acts include driver error, inadequate maintenance, and negligent hiring or supervision of truckers.
The following evidence can be used to prove negligence in a truck accident case:
- Police reports
- Blood test results
- Photographs of the accident scene
- Truck driver log books
- Cargo-loading records
- Information from the truck data recorder or camera
- Inspection and maintenance records
- Witness testimonies
- Testimonies from accident reconstruction experts
Proving Your Losses
On the other than, an injured truck accident victim must also provide proof of his or her damages. Your final compensation includes both economic (medical expenses and lost wages) and non-economic (pain and suffering) damages.
The following are the types of evidence used to prove one’s losses:
- Medical bills and reports from physicians
- Pay stubs and time sheets for hourly workers
- Business, tax, or other records
- Testimonies from healthcare providers
- Testimonies from vocational consultants
- Testimonies from life care planners
- Psychological evaluations
Evidence needs to be discovered, gathered and presented to the court in accordance with South Carolina law. Although identifying evidence can be complicated, an experienced and reputable personal injury attorney can help you do all the work while you make the best recovery possible from injury.
If you suffered an injury in a truck accident caused by a negligent trucker in SC, contact our Charleston personal injury attorney at Pierce | Sloan to schedule an appointment for your free consultation today.