Carl was born in Moncks Corner, South Carolina, on July 2, 1961. He graduated magna cum laude from the University of South Carolina (B.A., 1983) where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He graduated cum laude from the University of South Carolina Law School (J.D., 1986) where he was a member of Phi Alpha Delta, Order of the Coif, Order of Wig and Robe, and Moot Court Board. He was admitted to the South Carolina Bar and United States District Court, District of South Carolina in 1986, and the United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit in 1991. His areas of practice include product liability, professional negligence, including legal malpractice defense, mass torts, toxic torts, general negligence and personal injury.
– Mr. Pierce has the highest available peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Pierce is rated Very High to Preeminent for Legal Ability and Very High for Ethical Standards. A lawyer must be admitted to the bar for 10 years or more to receive an AV rating and is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence..
AV, BV and CV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
– Carl was named to Best Lawyers in America in Mass Tort Defense in 2010 and each year since. He was then named Lawyer of the Year for 2018 by Best Lawyers in the area of Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action Defense. Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. A listing in Best Lawyers is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, conferred on a lawyer by his or her peers. For more than three decades, Best Lawyers® lists have earned the respect of the profession, the media, and the public, as the most reliable, unbiased source of legal referrals anywhere.
- Carl was recognized as a South Carolina Super Lawyer in in 2013 and has been given that distinction every year since.
–Carl has been a member of the Charleston Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates since 1999. Membership to ABOTA is by invitation only. Requirements include over 25 cases in federal or state court tried to verdict.
– is an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society established to reflect the new face of the American bar. Membership is limited to 3,500 Fellows, representing less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
– Pierce, Sloan, Wilson, Kennedy & Early, LLC has been listed in A.M. Best’s Recommended Insurance Attorneys since 1999.
“Civil Conspiracy“, South Carolina Jurisprudence