Charleston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Injured in a Motorcycle Accident? Learn Your Options
It can happen in a flash. The car in front of you fails to check their blind spot, can’t swerve into another lane quick enough, and the only thing you remember after that are your hands being loosened from your handle bars. Motorcycle accidents are some of the most devastating and dangerous accidents that occur on the road. Riders have far less protection than vehicle passengers, putting them at serious risk for debilitating and long-term injuries.
Why clients choose Pierce | Sloan:
- Award winning representation
- Backed by a history of success
- Individualized care and attention
- Free consultations
- A team of attorneys with decades of combined experience
If you have suffered damages or injuries in a motorcycle accident caused by another’s negligence, we encourage you to reach out to our firm today. Our Charleston motorcycle accident lawyers at Pierce, Sloan, Kennedy & Early LLC have years of experience and know how to craft compelling claims on behalf of our clients.
We are just a phone call away. Dial (843) 968-0886 or submit an online contact form. Our motorcycle accident attorneys in Charleston are ready to help you.
Common Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Research done by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows that while motorcycles are responsible for less than 1% of total miles driven, they account for nearly 15% of traffic deaths. Motorcycles are often seen as convenient methods of transportation, especially when used to weave in and out of traffic. Due to the little protection motorcycles have to offer, however, accidents and collisions involving motorcycles are almost always severe in nature.
Motorcycle accident injuries can include:
When pursuing these types of injury claims, it’s important to remember the significance of liability and damages. In order to value and estimate the worth of any personal injury claim, you must look at the degree of responsibility the other driver holds in causing the accident and the severity of damages you’ve experienced as a result.
Who Is Liable for My Motorcycle Accident?
In many cases, a motorcycle accident seems straightforward. A car or truck collided into a rider and caused them to suffer severe injuries. While many cases may involve this simple story, not all are that basic. There are numerous cases that will involve third-party liability, which means an injured rider may be able to hold an additional party responsible.
Depending on your accident, you may be able to pursue compensation from:
- Negligent drivers
- Companies or employers of commercial drivers
- Manufacturers of defective vehicle parts or safety gear
- Construction companies or other parties involved that caused highway defects
When you retain the counsel of our Charleston injury attorneys, we get to work right away investigating your case to identify the negligent individual or parties. From there, we collect evidence to build a compelling claim that ensures you maximize your recovery. Our goal is to secure fair compensation so that you can move forward with your life following a serious motorcycle accident.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Charleston
When it comes to potential road hazards, cars represent the greatest threat to motorcycle riders. In fact, statistics reveal that there are at least 5 motorcycle accidents a day in South Carolina. If you’re ever injured in a car collision, your lawsuit may depend on you following certain procedures during the immediate aftermath.
Here are 6 important steps you must follow if you want to file an effective claim:
- Call 911: The first step you must take after an accident is to call 911. When emergency services and law enforcement arrive, do everything in your power to be cooperative without downplaying your injuries or admitting fault. The police report can be used as evidence in your personal injury lawsuit.
- Collect information: If you have the opportunity, exchange information with the driver and gather witness phone numbers and testimonials.
- Take color photographs: Before the accident scene gets cleared away, be sure to take colored photographs of both vehicles, the surrounding area, your injuries, and any road defects or circumstantial conditions that may have contributed to the accident.
- Seek medical treatment: It’s important to seek medical assistance as soon as the collision occurs. Many injuries may not be immediately apparent to the untrained eye, and a doctor can ascertain if you require specific medical treatments. Plus, if you’re planning on filing a personal injury claim, your case may hinge on you visiting the doctor within 7 days. Your medical record can serve as essential evidence in your case and prove to the rival insurance company that you took the appropriate steps to seek medical assistance.
- Contact a personal injury attorney and report the accident to your insurance company: Retain a lawyer before you file your claim or discuss information with any insurance companies. Effective legal representation can guide you through this complicated legal process and help you pursue maximum damages. Your lawyer can negotiate with both insurance companies on your behalf and ensure the validity of your claim.
- Compile records and receipts: To secure the financial damages you require, you must assemble copies of any records and receipts relating to your accident. This includes the initial police report, your medical records, and any hospital receipts.
South Carolina Motorcycle Accident Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations in South Carolina allows plaintiffs 3 years to file a personal injury claim. While this countdown starts on the day of the collision, certain legal exceptions do exist that may extend the time period depending on case-by-case circumstances. Regardless, it’s important to seek legal guidance and explore your legal options with a lawyer. This is particularly essential if you don’t want to accept an underwhelming insurance company settlement or accidentally sabotage the validity of your overall lawsuit.
Seriously injured in a motorcycle accident? Reach out to our skilled accident attorneys at (843) 968-0886 to ensure that you have a solid case. We have serve Charleston since 1999.
Unique Challenges of Motorcycle Accident Claims
However, one common misconception among both motorcyclists and motor vehicle drivers is the idea that motorcycle accident claims are similar to car accident and truck accident cases. Although there share some of the same aspects, motorcycle accident cases are complex by a variety of unique factors.
The following are the top four unique challenges of motorcycle accident lawsuits:
- The negative perception of motorcyclists. Bikers are often viewed negatively in regards to litigating a personal injury suit. Because motorcyclists typically avoid traffic by weaving through it or splitting lanes, many people consider this type of behavior as reckless and even negligent.
- Injuries are generally more serious. In most cases, motorcyclists often suffer more severe injuries compared to someone involved in a car accident. The obvious explanation is that a motorcyclist does not have the same amount of protection to shield them from bodily harm. An attorney needs to determine the level of compensation that a person should recover due to these issues.
- A lack of documentation from the scene of the accident. Since motorcyclists typically sustain more serious injuries compared to drivers of cars and trucks, it may not be possible to gather all of the information necessary to succeed in a personal injury claim. Not only can an injured motorcyclist rely on a police report for any information regarding the accident, but visiting a doctor immediately after the injury can help document the full extent of the injuries.
- Juries are typically not familiar with motorcycle operations. Most people find themselves unaware of the mechanics of motorcycles and how motorists tend to have better control over a motorcycle while moving. Safe operation practices are relayed to the jury to help determine liability.
Boutique Law Firm with Big Firm Experience
At Pierce, Sloan, Kennedy & Early LLC, we have a proven track record of success in handling injury cases. Our team of Charleston motorcycle accident attorneys hasrecovered millions of dollars in verdicts on behalf of your clients. We are the advocates you want on your side during this time. Because we believe that individuals deserve high-quality representation, regardless of their financial situation, you pay nothing unless we are able to secure a favorable outcome. As our client, you can rest easy knowing that your case is in the hands of trusted, capable, and honest legal professionals.