Skip to Content
Call For A Free Consultation 843-968-0886

Common Types of Damages in a Car Accident Injury Claim


Car accidents are frighteningly commonplace; although most of these crashes are small fender-benders, many others cause serious damage and severe, life-threatening injuries. In a car accident injury claim, you have the right to pursue compensation for these injuries and property damage, referred to as “damages.”

In this blog, our Charleston personal injury attorneys look at some of the most common types of damages recovered in a car accident injury claim or lawsuit. The types of damages you will be able to recover will vary greatly depending on the unique circumstances of your case.

Have you been injured in Charleston or the surrounding areas? Contact us today for your free case evaluation.

“Actual” Damages

These are also called compensatory damages, and as the name suggests, are designed to compensate the victim for losses they actually suffered. This category includes most, if not all of the money that victims are typically able to recover. Actual damages are further broken down into general damages, as well as special compensatory damages.

General Damages

This includes any non-monetary losses you have suffered. The most common example is compensation for pain and suffering, but you can also seek compensation for mental anguish, as well as loss of consortium (if the victim can no longer engage in sexual relations.)

Special Damages

These damages will compensate you for monetary expenses which were incurred as a result of the injury or accident. There are a wide variety of different monetary losses you can claim, but the most common types include:

  • Loss of earnings/future earnings
  • Medical expenses/future care
  • Rehabilitation costs
  • Household expenses

Punitive Damages

In some cases, victims may pursue punitive damages, in addition to the actual damages they are seeking. You can read more about these damages in our previous blogs, but they are essentially designed to punish a defendant who acted in a particularly callous or intentional way. In car accident claims, these are most commonly awarded in cases involving DUI.

We can help you pursue maximum compensation for the injuries you’ve suffered. Call (843) 968-0886​ today to learn more.

Share To: