SUVs have become the go-to choice for many drivers because of their versatility and spaciousness. They are perfect for families, long road trips, and off-road adventures. However, as wonderful as they may be, SUVs are more susceptible to rollover accidents than most other types of automobiles.
Many SUVs have a high center of gravity and narrow wheelbase, which makes them prone to tipping, flipping, or rolling rather than skidding. Although automakers have implemented improvements, many people still get injured in SUV rollovers due to design and component flaws.
In this blog post, we'll discuss whether SUV drivers can prevent rollover accidents and better ensure their safety and that of others sharing the road with them.
Tips for Preventing SUV Rollover Accidents
Rollover accidents can cause catastrophic injuries or fatalities, not just to the occupants of the SUV, but to other people on the road as well. While you can’t prevent SUV rollover accidents altogether, by following these tips, you may be able to lessen the chances you’ll be involved in an SUV rollover accident:
- Get the Right SUV – The first step in lessening the chances you’ll be in a rollover accident is to choose the right SUV. Some SUVs are more prone to rollovers than others, so it's essential to do your research before buying one. Look for SUVs with a lower center of gravity, as they are less likely to tip over. You should also consider an SUV with electronic stability control (ESC), as it can help prevent rollovers by detecting and correcting wheel slippage.
- Properly Load Your SUV – Improper loading can also lead to rollover accidents. When loading your SUV, make sure to distribute the weight evenly throughout the vehicle. Place heavier items as low as possible and avoid packing too much on the roof. Overloading your SUV can cause it to become unstable, especially when you turn or make sudden maneuvers.
- Drive Slowly and Smoothly – One of the primary reasons why SUVs roll over is because of excessive speed. When driving an SUV, you need to be mindful of your speed and avoid making sudden movements or sharp turns. Driving slowly and smoothly can help prevent rollover accidents and keep you and your passengers safe.
- Avoid Overcorrecting – Overcorrecting is another common cause of SUV rollover accidents. Drivers often panic and overcorrect when they feel their SUV beginning to tip. This reaction can cause the SUV to roll over as the driver tries to regain control. If you feel your SUV beginning to tip, avoid overcorrecting and steer it in the direction you want to go.
- Wear Your Seatbelt – Wearing a seatbelt can reduce the risk of serious injury or death in case of an SUV rollover accident. Make it a habit to buckle up every time you get in your SUV and encourage your passengers to do the same. Seatbelts work together with airbags to keep you and your passengers safe in the event of a rollover accident.
Need Help Following a Rollover Accident in South Carolina? Connect with Us Today to Set Up a Free Consultation!
At Pierce, Sloan, Kennedy & Early LLC, our team is dedicated to advocating for victims of SUV rollover accidents. We have achieved notable legal victories for victims of these accidents throughout South Carolina.
If you or someone you know has been affected, feel free to reach out to us today for a complimentary consultation with our experienced SUV rollover accident lawyers in Charleston. You can contact us online or call us at (843) 968-0886.